Sunday 21 June 2009

(re) discovered gems.

you know when you own an album that you bought ages ago from the bargain bin, listened to once, and then stuffed back into the pile to gather dust?
and then one day, you accidently decide to give it a play, and discover an aural masterpiece?
as much as i have tried for years to avoid all things miles davis, whom i have always found to be so ridiculously over-rated, i have been tempted back to the darkside by gusman, who advised that perhaps i should give some of his "earliest" stuff a listen.
so that's when i revisited my collection, and discovered miles davis' workin'...
originally purchased to satisfy my need for a bit of a coltrane fix, (who makes up the rest of the quintet, along with red garland, paul chambers and philly joe jones), and given that this lineup recorded an incredible 5 ALBUMS IN 2 DAYS! (miles: the new miles davis quintet, cookin', relaxin', workin' and steamin') i may now find myself adding a few more early miles albums to my collection.
the opening two tracks "it never entered my mind" and "four" have been played in my repertoire non-stop for the last 2 weeks.
ps. i still think he's over-rated.

No comments: